Saturday, January 7, 2017

ESO Screenshot Tips

When I first started searching the web for ESO tips, I assumed that all of the screenshots where created by PC gamers.

Not so.  It turns out that you can capture screenshots on the Xbox One by double tapping the power button and pressing Y.  I discovered this by accident because I'm not very coordinated.

To get the screenshots off of the console you can share them to OneDrive.  Then you can download them to your PC from the OneDrive website (if you're running Linux, like me).  It's probably even easier if you're running Windows.

Then I do some image processing using the ImageMagic convert program.

I start by shrinking and converting the images to JPEGs.

For the "view" I shrink the width to 800;

convert AboveAncientView.png -resize 800 AboveAncientView.jpg


For the map I shrink the width to 1024;

convert AboveAncientMap.png -resize 1024 AboveAncientMap.jpg

And then I crop it;

convert AboveAncientMap.jpg -crop 384x384+320+90 AboveAncientMap.jpg

I feel like this gives a pretty good balance between size and quality.

So I put a script named conmap in ~/.local/bin and it looks like this;

#!/bin/bash
if [ -f $1 ]; then
   FILE=$1
else
   echo "The file "$1" does not exist"
   exit 1
fi
JPG="${FILE%.*}".jpg
convert "${FILE}" -resize 1024 "${JPG}"
convert "${JPG}" -crop 384x384+320+90 "${JPG}"


I am obviously not a bash expert, but this works for my limited needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment